

This weekend was crazy busy, if you didn't see from my snazzily posted calendar (see link to the right). What happened, you may be asking?Well, first off, this past weekend was our (ChE Department) recruiting weekend. After people get accepted to the graduate program in our department, we have 2 hosting weekends for them to come visit: meet faculty, students, check out the campus, etc. I signed up to be a lead host on Thursday night and Saturday , so that involved a lot. Thursday night I was in charge of organizing dinner (with Bob, my co-leader). We took the recruits out to dinner at Winberies, a local pub/restaurant, in two shifts: one at 7:30PM for those who had arrived in Princeton, and a later one at 9PM for late arrivals. It was quite enjoyable, especially since the department picked up the tab, but I got the points on my credit card (I get reimbursed).
After that, we took them to the Yankee Doodle Tap Room, a pub in the hotel where they were staying in the center of town. It was quite fun. We were there until it closed (12AM). Seemed like the recruits had a good time. After that I moseyed back to my room and fell asleep. I was exhausted.
Friday during the day was rather hectic because in the evening ... I went to the opera! It was fantastic! Luc and I went to see Die Zauberfloete (the Magic Flute) at the Metropolitan Opera in New York City. Quite fun. However, the day was hectic because I have class normally until 5:30/6PM (depending upon when the professor stops lecturing) and we needed to catch a 6:06PM train at Princeton Junction, which involved driving to the train station in rush hour traffic. I was worrying. Here was the solution: in the morning, I packed up everything I needed for the evening, clothes for the evening plus I made sandwiches and packed snacks for dinner on the train. I gave Luc my dress that I was going to wear that evening and then went off to class. At 5:00, I left class early (don't worry, I got permission) and met Luc outside the E-Quad. He was all ready to go (dressed in a tux!) and gave me my dress. I ran inside, changed in the bathroom, grabbed our dinner and met him at his car (~5:20PM). We then drove to the train station and had about 10 minutes to wait on the platform. All in all, good timing. It was so much fun going to the opera house. Everyone was quite dressed up (we got really dressed up just for fun, but I was surprised to see others wearing tuxedos and evening gowns, spersed in with cheap-seat-ticket-holders wearing jeans. This was the first opera I ever saw and I loved it. In front of your seat, you have "met titles" which are subtitles for the show, so you can turn them on if you wish to understand more. It was quite good. After the show, we headed back to Penn Station to get our train back to NJ. We didn't get back until 2:30 AM, which was unfortunate, because that meant we totally missed the 80's Party at the D-Bar that evening. Oh well, can't do everything.
Saturday dawned warm and beautiful. I am so ready for spring!! I had volunteered to take the recruits around on the housing tour (because I had a car, so I could drive) and that meant I got free lunch at the super swank Palmer House. It was nice. Delicious. And so warm outside! After lunch, took the recruits on the housing tour which included showing my room off. Then after that, since it was so nice and I had 2 hours to kill before meeting the recruits again, Luc and I went for a walk through campus, ending up on Nassau street and getting some drinks at Starbucks. It was nice, but I could feel it getting cooler as the evening pressed on. Best thing: long afternoon shadows at 4:45 PM now instead of 2:30 PM. Spring is coming!! After that I drove back to Nassau Inn to pick up the recruits going on my evening activity: rock climbing. We had dinner first at the Thai Village (paid for by the department) and then headed down to the Trenton area where there is a rock gym (Rockville). It was good. I climbed some tough routes for me (5.7). Next I'll try the 5.7+ I couldn't finish the first time I went. Mostly though, I belayed for the recruits who were climbing. After that (about 9:30PM) we went to the Princetonian Diner for some dessert. I had a delicious Reeses Chocolate cake. So good. So big. I took half of it home and ate it this afternoon. I also saw my advisor, Dr. Floudas, at the diner. It was weird. I said "hi" though. Then we took the recruits back to the hotel and I headed home. Before going to bed, however, I stopped by the D-Bar where a bunch of people were relaxing and having some drinks. It was quite fun. Then I went to bed. Now it is cold out. Spring needs to come back.
I uploaded a bunch of pictures I took throughout the weekend (hence "documented" weekend). Also, I should mention, I renamed the princeton albums to life since they feature general photos taken in my life. That is all. Hope you look at the pictures.
No comments:
Post a Comment